Village of Brownsville
Alfred D. Brown
Although the small village hosted many businesses throughout its early years, it was not until almost a hundred years after Brown’s arrival that it sought incorporation. In 1947 the Village of Brownsville established a sanitary district with Fred Kemmel, Harold McCarty and Alton Rosenkranz as officers. This district was set up after the passing of a referendum to build a sewage disposal plant and drill a well.
In the fall of 1953 a move was made to incorporate the village. A special election was held December 16, 1952 to decide if Brownsville should become incorporated. At the time census was 262, the voters decided in favor of incorporation by a vote of 110 in favor and 5 being opposed.
On December 23, 1952 the village was incorporated. O.M. Jacobson was elected as the village’s first president with Charles M. Bloohm and Arnold Ewerdt serving as trustees. Other officials included: Karl Pieper, clerk; Hubert Rusch, treasure; J.G. McCrury, assessor; Martin Beck, constable; Fred Kemmel, supervisor; and Otto Ruedebusch, justice of the peace.
Presidents of the Village of Brownsville
| November 24, 1952 – March 1963
||Oliver M. Jacobson|
| April 6, 1963 – April 9, 1964
|| R.L. Armour
| May 14, 1964 – April 13, 1967
|| Martin Beck
| May 10, 1967 – March 11, 1970
|| Joseph Lauber
| April 8, 1970 – September 9, 1987
|| Dale R. Michels
| October 14, 1987 – April 12, 1995
|| Harry A. Jacobson
| May 10, 1995 – April 11, 2001
|| Ronald M. Sabel
| May 9, 2001 - April 20, 2011
|| Harold J Johnson
As all can see improvements are being made on Main St. These include: gas main replacement, water main upgrades, water lateral replacement, storm inlet replacement, curb & gutter replacement, and sidewalk repair. For more information on what's go..
The Summer Recreation Program is moving forward this year. We have an enthusiastic director and registration is set at the library April 6 and 13. More information is available by following the tabs and finding Summer Recreation Program or clicking H..